The relocation service for the Frankfurt/Rhine-Main region

UK drivers license holders should come into action - Brexit

October 14, 2020
Dealing with Authorities

British citizens resident in Germany and in possession of a driver's license issued in the United Kingdom can apply for a German driver's license.

Following the departure of the United Kingdom on January 31, 2020, the transitional period has been running from February 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020, during which Union law will continue to apply to the United Kingdom and in the United Kingdom in principle as before. This also applies to the transport sector, and the local driver's license authority is not yet in a position to say with certainty what will happen after 31 December 2020.

If the stay in Germany is only temporary, holders of a British driver's license with a driving licence issued in Great Britain may take part in traffic in Germany provided they have a valid driver's license. The driver's license can be proved by a national driver's license and, if necessary, additionally by an international driver's license, but after six months the British driver's license must be converted into an EU/EEA card driver's license.

British EU driver's licenses can still be converted to a German EU driver's license without a theoretical and practical driving test. The aim is to reach a reciprocal agreement with Great Britain before the end of the transitional period so that the conversion can take place without the need for an examination. However, as the driver's license authority informed us personally, there is still nothing 100% sure yet- this means that if you want to be on the safe side, you should arrange for your UK driver's license to be converted into an EU driver's license as soon as possible. The conversion usually takes 3 to 4 weeks. You need to bring your valid passport, the registration certificate (not older than 6 months), a biometric passport photo and your old driver's license.

We recommend that you rewrite your driving license - if no agreement can be reached you may have to redo testing.

Are you looking for a Relocation agency?

More Article for the topic:

Dealing with Authorities